Share My Stories!

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sidewalk Chalk

I love simple. Simple saves my sanity and saves money too. That's why I love making stuff for my kids from scratch. They love it and have fun with it.




Sidewalk Chalk

This is a fun activity you can do with your kids. My daughter will draw masterpieces for hours and I admit I love drawing with her. Although she usually tells me what to draw :)


  •  Find a mold for your sidewalk chalk. You can use a toilet paper roll, cupcake tin with liner, small paper cups or ice cube trays.
  •  Mix together 1 cup of Plaster of Paris (you can find at any craft store or home improvement store) with 1 cup of water.
  •  Add 2-3 T colored powdered tempera paint (you can get at any craft store)
  •  Mix together
  •  Pour your mixture into the molds
  •  Let dry for 24 hours.
  •  Once dry you can remove your chalk from the mold.

You can experiment with this recipe. Try layering colors or swirling the tempera paint. You can also try adding glow in the dark paint (this is also sold at craft stores.) The recipes are fun and educational activities for kids if you let them help you. Try letting them measure and mix and teach them about mixing colors.  

Total Pageviews