Share My Stories!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Best Baked Potato Soup Recipe



Fall is one of my most favorite seasons. Of course being an Ohioan, I am in love with all the seasons. Towards the end of summer I start to actually miss the gray days. Yes, I know. I need help but it's true.  I love the beautiful fall days (sunny and gray), curling up on the couch with a book and some hot tea, fall hikes with the kids, corn mazes, picking apples and pumpkins, HALLOWEEN, cozy sweaters, and the crisp fall air that holds the promise of snow. I know just around the corner is winter and that means slowing down for me. A time of rejuvenation.  The pace slows down and I am forced to slow down with it. I need this time. I need to be reminded that life happens very fast if we let it. Sometimes I forget and get so wrapped up in the day to day hustle and bustle that I lose track of life. The end of fall and winter remind me to stop and take a step back and remember that life is for living and enjoying, not just for being and doing. So, in honor of cold nights, slowing down and enjoying life, I am sharing my recipe for baked potato soup. It takes some time but it is worth it and isn't that what this blog post is about?


Baked Potato Soup - WARNING!! 
This soup is not fat free, or remotely healthy (ok it does have potatoes and milk but that is about it) but it is soooooo good. And really, how often do we get the chance to enjoy a bowl of homemade deliciousness? This also makes a BIG pot so there is plenty of leftovers.

Ingredients:


  • Package of center cut bacon, nitrate free (or whatever you can afford)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 10 Tablespoons flour
  • 6 cups chicken broth (organic if you can)
  • 8 large baked potatoes (I wash and dry mine and rub olive oil on them. Place them directly on the oven rack @ 350 for 45 minutes)
  • 2 cups half and half (yes you need this. This is what makes it so nice and creamy.....mmmmmm)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • Sour cream



1) In large saucepan cook bacon until crisp. I usually bake the potatoes and then start the bacon.
2) Place bacon on plate, drain grease reserving 1 Tablespoon.
3) Saute onion and garlic in reserved bacon grease until tender.

4) Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. 
5) Gradually add chicken broth and whisk to break up the flour chunks.
6) Bring to a boil and simmer

6) Cut up the baked potatoes into cubes. I leave the skins on. Make sure they are cool enough to handle.
7) Add cut up potatoes and half and half to the chicken broth
8) Heat through and simmer gently
9) Garnish individual servings with crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese and sour cream
10) Enjoy!

Total Pageviews